Sunday, February 22, 2015

pantomime shot idea

Hi Victor and class, here is my rough drawing for pantomime shot. I'll re-draw it later. The idea is that she (a beginner driver) is trying to drive while affected by her boy friend sitting next her. He keeps correcting the way she drives. (only his hands will show in the shot) He will correct the way she grabs the handle and the distance between her and handle. I thought his existence can be considered as external circumstance for her but if it's not, please let me know. The reason why I came up with this idea is that I thought it's funny to see one person trying to do something while the other person trying to correct him/her. (her in this case) she has to go through internal struggle, frustration, and gets annoyed by the other person and I thought this can be a interesting idea for pantomime shot. and I thought inside of a car can be a good stage to show one's emotional change well because the space is small. Thank you for your help.



6 comments:

  1. Hi Faith, this is a fun idea! I think the hardest part will be staging the boyfriend's arms believably while not showing the rest of his body/face. Maybe only use one of his arms? I'm curious to know how you will end the shot. Also, how will her reactions to him be specific to their relationship? For example, how would her reactions be different if she was driving with her grandmother, or a driving instructor, or a kidnapper? Are there any specific details you can include about a boyfriend/girlfriend relationship?

    Any thoughts from the class?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your reply Victor! I agree with the idea showing only one of his arms. I'll bring more detailed drawings by Wed including the ending of the shot.

    for this shot, I wanted to focus on showing her inner struggle.
    in this story, he is more experienced with driving but he is not really good at teaching which will make her more frustrated. On the other hand, she was already nervous about driving from the beginning of the shot. and when his hand corrects her the way her grabbing the handle, and sit, she will get really uncomfortable and more nervous because she is not used to the new way. but she wouldn't blow up right away like she would if she were with her brother. She tries to hide her feeling being annoyed by her boyfriend but eventually, she will blow up. Thanks for your help.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahah Awesome idea Faith ! Any personal experience here ? ;)
      I agree with Victor, I wonder how you can clearly show that the person sitting next to her is her boyfriend. It might be a bit hard for the audience to understand right away who this arm belongs to. Maybe it might help if it was his car, with boy stuff on the back seat (depending on your camera angle), and the driver seat isn't adjusted well for her ?

      really challenging !

      Delete
  4. Hi Charles! I just read your comment. Thanks for sharing your idea! I think it's very helpful. the idea of her driving his car is great with boy stuff on the back seat. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hmm.. Hey Charles, I 've thought about your idea but I think the car has to be her car. I think the comedy here is that she gets annoyed by her boyfriend while he tries to take care of her. I'm thinking of making her boyfriend as her husband. so they are wearing the same ring.

    ReplyDelete